How to Use Your Benefits

Always carry your WVFH and Medicaid ID cards with you.  Show both of these cards to your PCP, hospital or other provider when you go for health care services. 

Look on your WVFH ID card for the following important information:

  • Your name
  • Your WVFH member ID number
  • The date your WVFH insurance began (we refer to this as the “effective date”)
  • Your PCP’s name and phone number
  • WVFH’s name, address and toll-free Member Services phone number
  • The phone number for the 24-hour nurse help line
  • The phone number for vision or dental care services
  • What you should do in an emergency

You are the only one who can get health care services with your WVFH ID card. If your children have our plan, they will receive their own ID card. If you let someone else use your card, you may not be able to stay in our plan.

You will get a new WVFH ID card if:

  • You change your PCP (main provider).
  • Your PCP’s phone number changes.
  • You lose your ID card.

If you did not get your WVFH ID card yet, or if you need a new one, please call Member Services at 855-412-8001.  If you have hearing or speech loss, you may call our Member Services TTY line at 711 or 1-800-982-8771.

Use your WV Medicaid card for services that are not the responsibility of WVFH, such as mental health.  If your WVFH ID card is lost or stolen, call Member Services at 855-412-8001.  If your WV Medicaid card is lost or stolen, call your caseworker at your local DHHR office.